Sunday, January 13, 2008

#9 Zantho "St. Laurent"

Today I adventure into previously untested waters... Austrian reds. The first bottle is from Zantho. They have recently made a 7 million euro investment in their production facilities and convenient to our quest they focus on indigenous varietals and are looking to be a major exporter of Austrian wines. The lizard on the label had me confused until I discovered that it too was an indigenous (albeit rare) woodland variety. (click the Zantho link to hear an Austrian lizard call!).

The grape in question is a St. Laurent. Nice fruit, medium body and a velvety finish. It almost reminds me of a pinot noir but should probably be served slightly chilled. As a bonus this $10 bottle has a very cool glass closure. Unquestionably drinkable I will certainly pursue their other wines.

No comments: