Thursday, January 10, 2008

#4 is a 2005 Cesanese from Pallavicini

"If its Thursday it must be cesanese" is the time worn saying and who am I to argue? Certain to discover that cesanese is actually Italian for merlot I plunge into my research. I am happy to learn that this grape is its own variety and seems to be grown only in an area called Lazio not too far east of Rome.

The Pallavicini's appear to have held onto quite a bit of land for quite a long time and they grow all sorts of stuff, grains, olives, various vegetables even potted palm trees. But since we are interested in the grapes we will just move along.

With a satisfying pop the plastic closure reveals varietal #4. Lots of fruit with a little tannin. Interestingly the fruit hits the front of the tongue and fades quickly to gentle tannins while a darker fruit arises in the back palate and lingers. I would say it seems a little off balance yet the flavor is fine. Not bad for a $13 wine. I think this would make an excellent blending grape to fill out the gaps some wines do have in their structure. I am sorely tempted to try some blending tonight myself....

No comments: