Sunday, January 13, 2008

#10 Blaufränkisch from Neckenmarkt

Since tonight was to be a night of reds I ventured to the local Whole Foods for a few cheeses. When asked by the cheese monger if I would be drinking wine with them I confirmed yes but when asked which ones I was stymied. "Austrian reds" I say, "Some real off the wall varietals" I clarify. Cheese monger nods, interested but unchallenged he waits... "ahhh" I start "uhhh a um Bluueee... Bal..." I add. "Blaufränkisch" cheese monger confirms "Perhaps a St. Laurent also?". It is becoming more evident that what I deem "off the wall varietals" are often honored and regularly consumed hometown favorites.

Blaufränkisch is widely planted around central Europe. This $9 Neckenmarkt bottling is fairly tannic but it finishes nicely. Advance apologies for using the term "burly" to define this one. Regional wines tend to pair with regional cuisines and this one leaves me craving a spicy goulash.

No comments: