Friday, January 18, 2008

#21 Merlot from Bodegas Viña Magaña

Wednesday's wine tasting had a couple major varietals that I had been trying to save for a rainy day and an elegant meal but I feel that I need to report on these since they really did stand out.

The first is a 100% Merlot from Bodegas Viña Magaña in Navarra Spain. Merlot is rare in Spain except as a blending grape. This is a luscious fruity full bodied wine that really stood out. It reminds me of great Bordeaux. "Not Surprising" says the pourer, since this is estate is not far from the French border and only about 150 miles from Bordeaux itself. Not to mention that much of Spanish wine making has roots in French methodology. This is a $47 bottle with limited distribution in the US. I am tempted to put a few of these away.

No comments: