Tuesday, January 15, 2008

#14 A Bonarda from Bodegas Catena Zapata (Alamos)

While the chili was simmering in the new and excellent slow cooker I headed off to check out the wines at my local wine shop. Strangely they were happy to see me and as a result they threw in a couple of extra bottles for my quest. Granted they weren't Bordeaux first growths but they will allow a few more varietals to get the big red check mark.

Not expecting much I decide to sample this $9 2005 vintage (while thoroughly enjoying #13). The Bonarda grape is a Piedmont varietal but this one is grown in Argentina which marks our first (but not last) South American bottle. It is important to note that bonarda is meant as a blending grape. Lots of fruit not much structure and a quiet empty finish. This grape will complement a wine needing a boost on the front palate. I am happy that Alamos delivered us this pure varietal but I won't be bringing it to dinner.

No comments: