Thursday, January 10, 2008

#5 is a Grignolino from Piedmont

Oh I just couldn't resist...(my excuse follows). Our decision to have salad tonight sent me to the cache for a new bottle. According to winemaker Luca Ferraris website "Grignolino of Asti is considered one of the best Italian wines" and is meant to be drunk with lighter meals. There is not much of this planted globally so I better get it while the gettin's good.

Its remarkably clear pink appearance is deceptive. "Aha! a rose'!" cheered Alma.. This passive disguise hides a load of bitter tannins guaranteed to pucker up your yapper. Grignolino grapes have a lot of seeds so a vintner must make an heroic effort to avoid creating a bitter vino. At $10 a bottle I suspect this was not one of those efforts although I am pretty sure it is not atypical of the grape. Therefore, I award this wine 11 stars and 4 tilted wine glasses!

[UPDATE: A day later I had a glass of this wine with a spicy Mexican (chipotle and adobo) pasta dish. Brilliant pairing, I will buy this one again to complement similar dishes.]

2 comments:

Kirk said...

11 stars and 4 tilted wine glasses? Am I missing a reference or something? I couldn't keep up the pace tonight and settled for a beer (homebrew!). While in the basement, I eyed the corner where the wine cellar will go. I'm getting excited just thinking about 1000+ bottle of wine in the basement....

Ted said...

Hehe, Yes I was mocking a few of the rating systems I have seen. I've been looking through my own holdings today. I can't wait to have em all in one place!