Monday, February 25, 2008

#59 Verdejo from Bodegas Cerrosol

Another lovely wine from Northwest Spain and another steal at $8 a bottle. This area of Spain has been an absolute hot spot in the wine quest. I am looking forward to finishing this marathon and being able to further explore this region's wines. A number of websites proclaim verdejo as "Arguably Spain's finest white grape variety." If this bottle is an indication then I must agree.

Like the Albarino we had earlier in the quest this one reminds me of sauvignon blanc but with a few important distinctions. This bottle, while having plenty of acidity doesn't go over the top like many recent sauv blancs I have tried. Also, this wine is rounder and creamier with a balanced almost lush finish. I had no problem drinking a few glasses of this on an empty stomach while preparing dinner.

No comments: