Tuesday, February 5, 2008

#43 Malbec Port from Sonoma

The Grandest Game is winding to a close and the underdog giants are putting up a marvelous fight. This is the best champion deciding football game I have ever seen. Remarkably all of the wines served tonight have also been excellent. To wind down the evening, it is after all a school night, I dig into the port collection and find an already open bottle of a River Bend Winery Malbec port.

Malbec is most commonly found as a South American varietal and to me often seems to be pretty run of the mill plonk. But when you concentrate this already dark grape juice into thick viscous ambrosia things change dramatically. Sadly there was just enough here for a small glass each. My effort to finish the remaining wine was greeted by a glass full of rocky sediment. Unbowed... like the underdog Giants I just chewed through it.

No comments: