Saturday, March 8, 2008

#75 Freisa by Casalone

A morning trip to the wine store replenished my supply of varietals. Whew, that was close. I now have enough here to get me to 90. However since I am returning to work in the evenings my quest will slow.... That said, today is Saturday and most of these wines ran about $10. I will consider today a celebration and see if I can get through a few of these.

First bottle today is a Freisa from Casalone. Popping the cork reveals a strong dose of musty alcohol and the wine pours quite brown. This is a 2004 so my fear is that we have a damaged wine. It is extremely dry with absolutely no fruit and it dances across the tongue like a seltzer (though no bubbles are visible). I am not sure how to approach this bottle but a little research indicates that this wine should be effervescent but it also should have fruit. Sadly this one is over the hill.... $13 gone, next bottle please.

No comments: