Monday, May 31, 2010

#190 Isabella

Wine's #189 and #190 come from Moldavia and a winery called Dionysos Mereni.  (its a pretty cool looking place).  Both of these are dessert wines and both are non-vintage reds and both have a heavy sediment buildup in the neck.  (also... both are unopened as my trepidation is palpable)....

The description of the Isabella on wiki, lets say makes me quite uncomfortable: "The Isabella being of the genus Vitis x Labruscana imparts a "foxiness" to the wine and because of this is thought to be objectionable, therefore it is not seen as a grape capable of making fine wines."

Here we go... "Particle board" cork, blackened on the end and smelling vegetative.  Color is amber, nose is prunes and alcohol.  Taste is a woody strawberry.  Finish is a warming burn as you would expect from a 17% ABV wine.  This bottle I may not purchase again but I would love to try more wine from this winery.  Let me just check on flights....

No comments: