Tuesday, May 18, 2010

#176 Mavrud

It has been quite a long time since I have been able to pursue my quest.  I notice that my last post was in December of 2009.  Well.... as luck would have it I happened upon a treasure trove of wines while searching for fresh produce during our extended Chicago cold snap.  I am now driving for that 200 varietal number and begin this new leg of the quest with a Mavrud from Bulgaria.

 This wine is clear and touched with amber.  It has currant on the nose and a mildly acidic fruit on the tongue.  This 12% abv wine finishes with a dry lingering soft woody flavor.

Best of all is the story behind the grape (for those who don't follow links).  "Legend says that during the reign of Khan Krum of Bulgaria all vineyards were ordered destroyed. Later, a lion escaped from its cage and terrorized the city. However, a fearless young man named Mavrud (now the name of a wine grape) confronted and slew the beast. The king summoned Mavrud's mother to learn the source of such courage. She said she had secretly saved a vine, made wine, and that this was the source of Mavrud's bravery. Khan Krum ordered the vineyards replanted."

No comments: