Saturday, May 9, 2009

#119 Bonarda

A very cool label and a dangerously drinkable wine. This was an enjoyable surprise. Astute followers of this blog of which there are a total of one will notice that Bonarda was already claimed as a grape varietal on January 15th 2008 (Varietal #14). However further study on the Bonarda grape reveals that the Italian version (which this wine is) and the Argentinian version (Wine #14) are NOT the same grape. An Argentinian Bonarda is really a Charbono.... Who knew? Well we all do now.

That said, this was an enjoyable wine. My first taste tonight reminded me of the first taste of wine I ever had. There is something slightly hot, wispingly herbaceous, and rapidly vanishing about this one. It's a $16 wine and it wont be easy to find here. If I lived near the winery I suspect this would be a front runner for my house wine.

No comments: