Friday, February 20, 2009

#111 Grechetto

Grechetto is another Italian white grape. Unfortunately the more white wines I try the more they begin to taste the same. Almost every one has some comparisons to Chardonnay and/or to Sauvignon Blanc. Sadly I am unable to drill down into the flavors and point out the fascinating undertones of forest black fruit or the sizziling frostiness of Hibernian sea moss. (In a future tasting I just might try)

When left on my own with this glass of wine and a keyboard I will say that it begins with the typical oily chardonnay mouthfeel and ends with the acidic bite of sauvignon blanc. Light on sweetness, pleasant minerality and a dusty almost citrusy finish. I suspect this would work well with grilled fish. But tonight it will be a prelude to a spaghetti dinner and a few hours of Survivor!

No comments: