Sunday, November 22, 2009

#162 Traminer

Well as far as the quest is concerned I have now drunk a wine super-store under the table.  This is the last of my Sam's Wines (RIP) bottles... last but certainly not least.  I was assured that this bottle contained the ancient Traminer (see below and here) but now the website and that salesman are long gone.

With today's grape, Traminer I get a chance to sample one of the great ancestors in the wine world.  The Traminer grape has given us Gewürztraminer, Riesling, Silvaner, Grüner Veltliner, and impressively Pinot Noir (with all of its offspring...Chardonnay anyone?) to name but a few.

Surprisingly, given much of its progeny, the flavor profile here is more Chardonnay than Riesling although elements of both are clearly observable.  Unfortunately in this case of 1+1 does not equal 3.  Our human ancestors must have decided that those flavors would be better apart than together and began working on 2-1=2...

This tasting opened up a world of questions most of which are unanswered as of this posting.  For now I will consider this a new varietal but as I learn more and as my DNA sequencing lab finishes up determining the genetic code for all grapes this might change.

No comments: