Monday, October 26, 2009

#149 Loureiro

Here we have a truly unique Vinho Verde from Portugal for a mere $10 which reminds me of a diluted lemonade braced with a hint of seltzer. On the pour you will see a swirling of the tiniest bubbles. For those of you still with me that is called "pétillance" (pay-tee-YAWN). On the first taste I find a nice soft sweetness followed by the bracing lemon acidity and finishing in a balanced harmony of the wine's major elements.

This is a really fun wine that I am sure will amuse your guests as well as your palate. I recommend giving this one a try if you can find it.

And oh yes, Vinho Verde can be made from a variety of grapes. This one contains 50% Loureiro which I have been unable to find on its own so this will have to do.. for now anyway.

No comments: