Wednesday, September 2, 2009

#141 Baco Noir

Oh my, it has been 6 weeks without a new wine... I do have a small backlog of new varietals and I will dutifully get on to it, after all I do need to get to 200 grapes before the year ends. (That has become a lot harder than it sounds)

Today it is Baco Noir . Clearly this is not an easy grape to find but I have to say that not only does the wiki (check link above) do a great job of describing this grape it mentions this particular bottling as well. In short this is a grape that is now largely found in Ontario and primarily has excellent defenses against many of the North American weather/diseases/bugs. Perhaps the flavor profile was secondary to survival as this wine is fruit forward but then becomes quite acidic - a lack of balance. Still at $15 a bottle for a red wine made in Canada in far from optimal conditions I must respectfully say thank you.

No comments: