Sunday, July 12, 2009

#136 Irsai Oliver

Today we have a grape that has eluded me for almost a year. When I first learned about Irsai Oliver I was determined to seek one out. Only lately was I able to find a bottle and to my delight it was Hungarian. (and $10).

This is a 2008 Szöke Irsai Oliver (link for those who speak Hungarian). My first taste was disappointing but I quickly realized I had served the wine too cold. As it approached a proper serving temperature the wine really showed its stuff. It has a floral nose and a bright acidic minerality. I actually enjoyed the wine even more later in the evening when it had arrived at room temperature. This wine is a real delight.

Thanks to K&L wines for carrying this gem and a link here to their site and a little more information about the wine. It is worth a quick read.

No comments: