Tuesday, February 5, 2008

#44 Castelao from Portugal

My delayed Big Game wine blogging got me thirsty and seeing how I had just used my "10% off one purchase" coupon to buy 2 cases of wine (with an additional case discount) there is plenty of wine around.

I haven't brushed up on my Portuguese and the JP Azeitao Quinta da Bacalhoa Terras do Sado website didn't clear things up for me anymore than the label did (Link is friendlier). This stubby container looks almost like a beer bottle and doesn't cost much more at $5.39! The primary grape is castelao at 70%. It is about what you would expect from a $5 bottle of wine. At first taste it seems a bargain but the dead fruit finish brings you back to reality. Upon further reflection the 15% syrah is likely responsible for all the flavor while this quote from the website " Sorry, the english section is under construction pending translated text. Thank you for your patients.." tells the real story.

No comments: