Tuesday, April 7, 2009

#115 Verdicchio

Why haven't I had this before?

If this was a blind tasting... I would have guessed a Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. Green in the glass with a tropical vanilla nose, strong acidity and a good bite on the finish. Of course as usual I would be wrong. This is a 2006 Verdicchio from donna Ginevra and its from Italy.

It all starts to make sense when I learn that Verdicchio hails from the Marche region in Italy (The calf in Italy's boot) right on the Adriatic. Presumably benefitting from the same sort of natural phenomenon that make New Zealand whites so wonderful.

To keep it simple this is just a fabulous wine for $17. It went so fast I had to intercept the bottle, steal a glass full and run to the computer to record my notes before it was all just a distant memory.

No comments: