Friday, February 20, 2009

#112 Bobal


I said it would be more difficult to find some of these remaining grapes in their purest form. I have set as my rule that the grape in question must constitute at least 70% of the wine being tasted. In this case the 2004 Rozaleme does just that. It is 70% Bobal with the remaining 30% the more famous Spanish Tempranillo. Yes this will be tonight's spaghetti wine.

Spanish wine with spaghetti you say? Did you think I would stick with the grechetto? OK so it wasn't such a good pairing but I knew it was a long shot going in. At $12 this is not a bad wine at all. At first I thought that I was tasting a bit of anise but I think now that it is in fact hazelnut. It has big fruit, nice acidity and none of that alcohol "burn" I find in less expensive bottles. Perhaps its time in the bottle allowed the components to meld well. I admit I do happen to enjoy most Spanish wines but despite my bias I think this one is a winner.

No comments: